ALHS 2313 Special Topics in Healthcare
3 Credit Hour(s)
This course is designed to allow the student the opportunity to engage in independent study of a selected topic of interest in the field of health care administration or related area, which will enhance the student’s ability to function more effectively as a manager in the health care field. The course will be conducted in a seminar or symposium format where each student is an active and involved participant in the selection of topic questions and material to be covered. Topics might include but are not limited to organizational learning, women in leadership, adult learning, leadership and culture, re-engineering and organizational resizing, or healthcare finance. The course may be used to meet part of the elective requirements for business degree programs. Topics may be repeated in future semesters or may change from semester to semester. (3 lecture hours/week) Not part of a TN Transfer.
Student Learning Outcomes:
1. Identify several key departmental characteristics that serve as determinants of individual management style.
2. Apply organizational theory to health care management.
3. Define the leadership role and how it is executed in health care organizations
4. Recognize the managerial functions and challenges posed by changes in the external environment and within health care organizations
5. Develop an awareness of the major changes in healthcare delivery over recent decades.
6. Differentiate between a “functional specialist” and a “management generalist”
7. Discuss the role of delegation and empowerment in managerial effectiveness.
8. Describe the relationship of time management to stress management.
9. Discuss the key influence of individual initiative on supervisory effectiveness.
10. Appreciate the role of employee selection to organizational effectiveness.
11. Describe the relationship of communication and leadership style.
12. Explain the various forces of motivation and their relationship to the internal organizational environment.
13. Outline the requirements of an effective performance appraisal system.
14. Distinguish between performance problems and problems of conduct.
15. Outline the functions of a Human Resources department.
16. Describe the areas of ethical concern having the greatest impact on a healthcare manager.
17. Identify the elements of rationale decision making.
18. Describe the key components of organizational change.
19. Identify the characteristics of an effective meeting.
20. Describe the role of the healthcare manager in budget development and management.
21. Describe the differences between total quality management and traditional approaches to quality in healthcare.
22. Explain the concepts of teambuilding as relates to organizational effectiveness.
23. Appreciate the importance of organizational reengineering to organizational development.
24. Synthesize information about strategic planning in health service organizations and the relationships of planning to innovation and change
This course is not designed for transfer to four-year universities. Students should check course recommendations with the college or university to which they intend to transfer for a baccalaureate degree. The receiving institution always makes the final decision about transferability of credits.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)