Since its establishment in July 2000, Southwest has melded the legacies of two institutions into a twenty-first century college that truly is “greater than the sum of its parts.” Southwest’s various locations make getting a degree more convenient. The College’s two main campuses serve a population of more than 650,000 residents in a five-mile radius of either location.
Macon Cove Campus
5983 Macon Cove
Memphis, TN 38134
Southwest’s intensive technology programs are based at the Macon Cove Campus, located off the I-40 and I-240 expressways in the eastern part of the city. The campus hosts multiple partnerships, alliances, licensing and certification programs, service grants, and extensive computer training facilities that serve both students and community. Macon Cove’s 100-acre campus offers a suburban ambiance, enhanced by a quiet lake that provides year-round habitat to flocks of ducks and other waterfowl.
Union Avenue Campus
737 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38103
Convenient to downtown and Midtown Memphis, the Union Avenue Campus hosts allied health sciences and nursing programs and a fine arts program complete with a well-equipped theater. The Union Avenue Campus is the original home of the Saluqi men’s and women’s basketball teams, which have brought national attention to the College over the years and much enjoyment to students and other local sports fans. The intercollegiate sports program includes men’s baseball and women’s softball teams, which also have fielded top teams.
With various locations throughout Shelby and Fayette Counties, higher education through Southwest is very accessible.
121 West Court Square
Somerville, TN 38068
3833 Mountain Terrace
Memphis, TN 38127
Maxine A. Smith Center
8800 East Shelby Drive
Memphis, TN 38125
6500 Navy Road
Millington, TN 38053
1234 Finley Road
Memphis, TN 38116
Southwest offers more than 100 programs of study that lead to as many as 27 University Transfer and career associate degrees, and more than 20 technical certificates. Greatly expanded technological capability reaches into every corner of the College, including registration and classes via Internet, intra-college communications, and programs that give students skills for careers that are new today or coming tomorrow.
Directions to Southwest campuses, centers and sites can be found at www.southwest.tn.edu or by calling (901) 333-5000 or the toll free number 1 (877) 717-7822.
The mission of Southwest Tennessee Community College is to provide the citizens of Shelby and Fayette counties and the surrounding Mid-South region with a high quality and affordable post-secondary education that prepares them for associate degrees, future educational opportunities, and successful employment. As a comprehensive, open-access, culturally diverse, public two-year college, Southwest is committed to meeting the educational needs of individual students, communities, and employers through credit and non-credit instruction using both distance learning technology and traditional campus-based classes. Southwest promotes student success in a supportive teaching and learning environment designed to raise educational levels, promote work readiness skills, enhance career advancement, prepare for university transfer, and enrich personal lives.
To fulfill its mission, the College:
- Provides university parallel courses and programs leading to Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees that meet the requirements of the first two years of a baccalaureate degree
- Provides career technical curricula leading to employment-related certificates and Associates of Applied Science degrees
- Provides continuing education, workforce development, and public service programs for community citizens and businesses
- Provides learning support programs for academically disadvantaged students
- Provides highly qualified full-time and adjunct faculty in all academic programs and disciplines
- Provies student support services that assist both students and alumni with their attainment of educational and career goals
- Provides student learning enrichment through honors programs, service-learning activities, tutoring, library services, cultural events, internaltional studies, and extracurricular activities
- Provides administrative and financial services that support student enrollment, faculty and staff employment, college management, and organizational development
- Provides institutional partnerships and activities that advance community relations, public awareness and support, resource development, and inter-institutional collaboration and articulation
- Provides physical facilities and learning environments that are modern, comfortable, secure, and technically advanced for student, employee, and public use
- Provides assessments of institutional effectiveness to ensure continuous improvement
- Provides a campus culture that promotes diversity, learning, and student success
Implementation of Mission
Implementation of this mission requires specific activities carefully designed to ensure that the mission is accomplished. These activities are grounded in the College’s basic values and are continually evaluated and improved. As a current implementation strategy, the College:
- Offers Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Associate of Science in Teaching degrees, technical certificate programs, and courses that prepare students for transfer, employment, and career advancement in areas that include allied health sciences, nursing, business, computer technologies, criminal justice, education, and engineering and related technologies, while continually developing new programs in emerging fields
- Offers a general education program to improve student communication and mathematical skills, critical thinking, cultural awareness and personal and civic responsibility
- Provides customized training, specialized courses, continuing education and assessment services to meet personal, career, and workforce development needs
- Provides developmental education to strengthen basic academic skills
- Offers an Honors Program for creative and academically talented students
- Develops articulation agreements and collaborative activities with high schools, technology centers, colleges, and universities to ensure smooth educational transitions for students
- Develops and sustains effective partnerships with business, industry, and community agencies to foster economic development and workforce preparation
- Initiates public service activities and educational collaboratives dedicated to lifelong learning and the improvement of the community at large
- Creates opportunities for enrichment and personal growth through social, cultural/artistic, multi-cultural, and athletic activities
- Utilizes technology reflecting current business and industry standards
- Provides student support services to increase opportunities for success
- Promotes academic excellence by supporting effective learning with quality instruction, a free exchange of ideas, and enhanced educational experiences through honors programs
As a college community, the faculty and staff of Southwest commit to the following values as guides for their professional practice:
- Student success
- Academic excellence
- The uniqueness and worth of each individual
- Dedicated faculty and staff
- Responsible learners
- Personalized instruction and hands-on learning
- Open communication, teamwork and participatory management
- Academic freedom
- Ethical and professional behavior
- Community involvement
- Continuous improvement
Southwest will become the college of choice and a national model for technical, career, and transfer education by fostering student success, transforming lives and strengthening the diverse community.