Jul 16, 2024  
2017-2018 Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


(901) 333-5924


The transcript is the permanent academic record of credit and will report student’s name and identification number, courses enrolled each semester, cumulative grade point average, semester GPA, credit hours attempted, credit hours earned, grades, grade points earned, degrees and certificates earned, academic program(s), honors, academic status, and transfer credit.

The transcript for Continuing Education units (C.E.U.s) shall be a permanent record of non-credit education and will report student’s name and identification number; courses enrolled in each semester by course title; number and continuing education units and grades.

Southwest houses the transcripts of two former colleges: Shelby State Community College and State Technical Institute at Memphis. Additions, deletions, or changes cannot be made to these transcripts.

Requesting a Transcript

Students who have attended since the fall semester of 2007 must login to their student account at my.southwest. tn.edu to request mailing of an official transcript, or to print an unofficial transcript. After logging in, students should access the Student Records section of Self-Service.

Students who attended Shelby State Community College, State Technical Institute, or Southwest Tennessee Community College prior to the fall 2007 semester should request a transcript by sending a written request to the Admissions and Records Office. The request must include the student’s name, identification number, signature, and the name and address of the person or agency to which the record is to be sent.

Students should allow three to five business days for transcripts to be processed. However, at least one week should be allowed when requests are made at the end of the term or during periods of registration.

Transcripts are not released if the student has any outstanding financial obligations with the College.

Change of Major

Each student should discuss academic goals and programs with his/her academic advisor. At the point when a decision has been reached to change his/her major, the student must submit a request by logging into their my.southwest.tn.edu account. The change will become effective the semester following the submission of the request.

Change of Name, Address or Telephone Number

The Admissions and Records Office should be informed of all changes in the student’s legal name, permanent address and/or telephone number. A copy of legal records should be submitted to document a name change. The College is not responsible for a student’s failure to receive official information due to an incorrect name or address.

Confidentiality of Student Records

It is College policy to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), also known as the “Buckley Amendment,” and all provisions and amendments thereto. In so doing, the College will protect the confidentiality of students’ and former students’ records.

Each faculty and staff member of the College is individually responsible for complying with FERPA. Violations of the act will subject the employee to disciplinary actions. Except for authorized administrative units that have responsibility for maintaining student records, no unit, component, staff or faculty member may disclose personal identifiable information.

FERPA covers all records that are directly related to a student and maintained by the College. “Student” includes current and former students but does not include applicants for admission who have never attended the College. FERPA does not cover:

  • Personal records of College personnel which are in the sole possession of the maker thereof and which are not revealed to any other individual with the exception of a temporary substitute
  • Records of Police Services, which are maintained apart from other student records, are used solely for the purpose of law enforcement and are not disclosed to anyone other than law enforcement officials of the same jurisdiction, and when other educational records are not disclosed to Police Services
  • Employment records made and maintained in the normal course of business, related exclusively to an individual, in that individual’s capacity as an employee which are not available for use for any other purpose
  • Records related to medical or psychiatric treatment of a student age 18 or older if only used in connection with treatment and disclosed only to persons providing treatment
  • Records that only contain information about an individual after he or she is no longer a student at the College

The College reserves the right to disclose directory information. Directory information may be released without the student’s consent. Any student who does not want the following directory information disclosed must complete a Suppression of Directory Information Request form (forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office) and submit it to that office. The following information is considered directory information at Southwest:

  • Name
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Weight and height of athletic team members and sport statistics
  • Dates of college attendance
  • Degrees, certificates and/or awards received

The College will also disclose information to the military as required by the Solomon Amendment unless the student has completed a Suppression of Directory Information Request form. The College may also provide a listing of graduates to other Tennessee Board of Regents colleges and universities.

Except as otherwise provided by this policy, all personally identifiable records directly related to a student or former student shall be kept confidential unless the student signs a consent form authorizing the release of such records, or as otherwise provided by law.

Student records may be disclosed in the following situations without the consent of the student:

  • Emergency situations - Should a threat to the safety or health of a student or another exist and it becomes necessary to disclose information without the consent of the student, needed information will be disclosed to persons who can render assistance.
  • Officials of the College and general counsel for the College - Student records will be made available to officials of the College and to general counsel for the College on a genuine need to know basis. Officials, in this instance, will include those persons officially authorized to operate on behalf of the institution (volunteer coaches, advisors to organizations/groups, academic advisory committee members, etc.), auditors, and persons on the College’s payroll. The genuine need to know shall be based on a legitimate educational interest, which stems from the fulfillment of assigned responsibilities. Further, information will be limited to only that needed to fulfill those responsibilities.
  • Pursuant to a subpoena - Upon receipt of a lawfully issued subpoena or judicial order, the College shall examine the subpoena or order to verify that it has been executed by an officer of the court or other authorized official (the Office of General Counsel for TBR may be contacted for assistance and verification). Prior to releasing the student’s records, the College will make a reasonable attempt to notify the student of its intent to comply. Oral notifications will be followed by written confirmations that shall be maintained along with a copy of the subpoena and record of the disclosure.
  • Parents of Dependent Students - The institution reserves the right to disclose student records to parents of dependent students as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code.
  • Officials of other schools/school systems - The College reserves the right to disclose student records to officials of other schools or school systems in which the student is enrolled or seeks to be enrolled. Copies of the records transferred will be provided to the student upon request. Additionally, all rights of the student to have the record amended will be sustained.
  • Parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 may be contacted regarding the student’s violation of drug or alcohol laws and rules.
  • Exceptions - Other disclosures made without the student’s written consent are narrow in scope according to the Privacy Act and will be made, most often, with the advice of general counsel.

A record of requests for disclosures, and disclosures made, will be retained with the record and may be inspected by the student, officials responsible for the records and by auditors. The College will comply with student requests to inspect or review their educational records and will provide an explanation or interpretation of the records. The College will also comply with student requests for copies of the records. The requests will be honored in a timely manner, not to exceed 45 days from the request date. Exceptions to student access rights include:

  • Records which contain information about more than one student
  • Financial records or statements of his/her parents and any information contained therein
  • Confidential statements of recommendation, solicited with written assurance of confidentiality, and used only for the purposes intended, which were placed in the file prior to January 1, 1975
  • Confidential statements of recommendation placed in the file after January 1, 1975, when the student signed a written consent waiving his/her rights to review or inspect the statement; and the recommendation is concerning admission to an educational institution, an application for employment, or the receipt of an honor or honorary recognition; and the recommendations received under the waiver are used only for the purposes designated on the waiver

Each student has the right to request an amendment to his/her record if it is felt that the record is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of his/her rights. The request is to be submitted on a Record Amendment Request form (forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office), with any supporting documentation, to the individual responsible for the record. The form must be signed and dated by the student. The student will receive a signed copy of the form, indicating approval or denial of the request, within 45 days of the request date. In cases of denial, the student may follow hearing procedures printed on the Record Amendment Request form. The Record Amendment Request form is limited to the issues of whether the record is accurate or misleading in recording the underlying action taken by the College, or whether the placement of the information in the student’s record is in violation of the student’s rights. In cases of denial, which proceed through the appeals process, the student shall have the right to place a statement in the file commenting on the information in the file and setting forth any reasons for disagreeing with the decision. In these cases, the College will maintain the statement with the record and will send it out to everyone who receives a copy of the record. Any violations of FERPA shall be reported to the Vice President of Student Services and Enrollment Management of the College. Further, complaints of violations by the College may be filed with the Office of the Secretary, United States Department of Education.